Activities for the Equilateral Triangles
Constructive Equilateral Triangles
Use for constructive activities:
- Experiment arranging the triangles in regular patterns such as a star, giant triangle, etc.
- Undo the patterns, and offer the child a turn.
- Encourage the child to come up with their own shapes and patterns
- Transfer the shapes/patterns to paper by tracing around the shapes and color the resulting design.
Use for tessellation activities:
- Demonstrate a tessellation: a pattern without any open spaces between the triangles
- Let the child experiment making tessellations
- Transfer the pattern to paper by tracing around the shapes and color the resulting design.
- Show the child examples of geometrical designs (mosaics, floor & wall tiles, patchwork quilts, furniture inlays, etc.) to generate ideas